Blend it Like Bordeaux
A Creative Wine Event!
Ahhh… the joy our taste buds feel at the tingle of Bordeaux – the ultimate in blended red wines. The mere name conjures up grand chateaus, finely crafted individuality, and
great flavors that work wonderfully with food.
Ever wonder what it takes to actually create a great Bordeaux ~ one that wine connoisseurs and novices alike would choose off the shelf from among hundreds of other bottles? Tonight your guests will be invited to blend their very own Bordeaux, give it a name, and create the label that will put them on the front of Wine Connoisseur magazine!
The event begins with our Wine Sommelier sharing some basics about the wines which traditionally make up a Bordeaux – Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Malbec. The Sommelier, a studied wine expert, will share in a friendly wat the characteristics of each wine as your guests taste them and begin to identify the nuances that make each one special. The Sommelier will also entertain you with stories of the wine country. As your guests savor the four varietals, they’ll come to appreciate their flavors and begin formulating ideas on which might blend best.
After the tasting, it’s time to have some fun while putting your newfound knowledge to use! You’ll join the ranks of amateur vintners everywhere in a fun interactive activity that turns everyone into winemakers.
Each table will be provided the right tools to create their own proprietary red wine blend using the traditional Bordeaux varietals of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec and Cabernet Franc.
Each table will be given each varietal, a carafe for blending, a measuring tool and some sampling glasses. They’ll experiment with different blends, aiming for a balance and gracefulness of flavors. Each team is really trying to crack the code to make each varietal stand out and bring something great to their blend. Once they’ve got a winner, they will blend their final product to be submitted to the tasting panel.
Since 60% of wine is chosen by the appeal of the label, it is critical to design one that will tell the story of your wine, and appeal to the novice as well as the aficionado. Come up with an appealing logo, a name for your vineyard, a name for your wine, and even a marketing tagline if you like. Wittiness, creativity, and that certain ‘zing’ are sure to please the critics.
After the blending is done and the labels are attached, it’s time for the judging! Each table will have an opportunity to present their wine, then the judges will evaluate them based on the same merits as most traditional wine competitions, including color, aroma, style, and wine label creativeness. Guests will get to sample the other entries, and enjoy conversation over the fruits of their labor! The team that has achieved the best balance, if not a true gracefulness, will go away with top honors.
Blend it Like Bordeaux will include:
- Event coordination for teams of 7-10 players each
- A professional Wine Sommelier to host the tasting, impart knowledge and stories, and host the event
- Professional MC and event team to coordinate the activities
- Printed rulebooks and wine informational sheets
- Writing/decorating supplies to make labels
- Wine glass charms for team ID and an event keepsake
- All equipment and supplies for the event
- Awards for all members of the winning team
- Set-up, strike, delivery and travel expenses, except as noted below
- Microphone and sound system with audio hook-up
Client to Provide:
- Space/Room for all activities
- Parking for event staff
- Power Drop for sound system
- All wine for the tasting (4 varietals)
- All wine for blending (4 varietals – 2 bottles of each per team)
- All service ware – including wine glasses, empty carafes, etc.
- Banquet staff to pour the wine during the tasting, and clean up used glasses throughout
- Any food or other beverage requirements
Ideal Group Size: 30 or more guests
Length: 1.5 to 2.5 hours
Space Required: Indoor space with tables