Leaving a Literacy Legacy
A love for reading starts at a young age, where kids explore fascinating worlds, cool animals, scary escapes, and wonderful people. But for many young children, the joy of owning their own book or having access to a library is only a dream. With this event, your group will help foster an environment that encourages reading for some very deserving kids.
Who You’ll Help…
Many small neighborhood day care centers are struggling for funding while trying to provide care and resources to a growing population. Money is short for even the most basic neccessities, let alone the extras such as books and games. Depending on your objectives, we’ll source a deserving agency. Your group will provide the inspiration and hope in many children’s lives through this project.
What You’ll Do…
This event consists of two parts: competitions to earn your building and decorating supplies, and construction of the book shelves.
To begin, each team will compete in a variety of competitions that allow them to gather the books, tools, parts, and decorating materials for their projects. The challenges not only add a spark of competition, but will require your teams to strategize, demonstrate communication skills, build relationships, and exhibit creative thinking skills. Strategy and planning is key when they choose their representatives in the games. Games might include:
- Create your own storybook – Teams create a story based on a character your team receives
- Who’s First Line is it Anyway – Guess the storybook based on the first line
- Human Spelling Bee
Then it’s time to build and decorate! All the wood, supplies, hand tools and pieces are included. Each bookshelf is a little different and displays the imagination of the team, so the fun is in discovering what creative ideas each team comes up with.
The final decorating pieces? Add a lovely plate with your company name on it, to leave a lasting legacy and remind kids and their parents every day where the gift of the bookshelves and books came from. And inside each donated book, you’ll place a custom designed bookplate with the note: “This book donated by us, to inspire you to read and dream.”
As the games wind down and the design wraps up, teams put their bookshelves on display. In a dramatic finish, we’ll invite representatives from the local agencies to share stories of their services and “introduce” some of their residents ~ ie: the kids they care for!
We’ll also have prizes for the Most Creative and Well Designed bookshelf.
Designed to help make dreams come true for a very worthy non-profit organization, this event is sure to bring out the spirit in your group and leave them with a lasting feeling of having truly made a difference in someone’s life.
Note: To really have a lasting impact, host a book drive and invite your associates to bring books from home to leave with the kids.
Your Event includes the following:
- Event design and implementation for teams with 10 players each
- MC and event managers/facilitators to implement the event
- One unfinished bookshelf per team, plus custom printed plates with your company name to place on them
- All tools, equipment, paints and supplies necessary to construct and decorate
- Equipment and supplies for competitions and contests for teams to earn points
- Custom printed book plates & books to donate
- Coordination with local charities and organizations, plus delivery of materials to each
- Sound system with music and microphone for MC, announcements and tunes throughout the event
- Color coded team ID (armbands or bandannas)
- Prizes for the top team
- All planning, coordination, implementation, set and strike of the event
- All travel and delivery expenses
Note: All event dates are subject to availability and are only guaranteed upon contract signing. In addition, a 5% rush surcharge may be added for any event contract signed less than two weeks prior to the event. Agency representatives and/or kids are subject to timing of your event and availability.
Client/Hotel to Provide:
- Space/room for all activities for participants and event staff
- Parking for event staff
- Power hook up for DJ/sound system and for tools as necessary
- Skirted and draped six-foot tables
- Any guest food and beverage requirements
Ideal Group Size: 30 or more guests
Length: 1 to 3 hours, depending on group size and inclusions
Space: Indoors or outdoors, open space